Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Imposter Syndrome


Dear Diary,

I've been feeling down lately.  Things aren't going my way.  I feel like I can't work to the level that I feel comfortable with.  I fear to know how bright and capable my colleagues think I am.

Oh wow!  What's this?!  It's a seminar for people who have "Imposter's Syndrome"?  Well, it seems like they've caught me.  I should go on September 19 to see how to be more confident about how others think of my work.

Hmm...can I even respectably go to this lecture if others know that I'm seeking help to be more confident?  This could backfire...but the website says that even women at Caltech have confidence issues.  And young girls in families tend to be typed into different social roles over their siblings.  Apparently, when a woman uses her '...intuitive perceptiveness and charm to gain approval...she feels that this praise is based on her charm and not on ability.'

Ok, I'm sold; this sounds like it could help me out.  There, I clicked the RSVP!  It's too late to turn my back on success now!

[Editor's note: Dr. Valerie Young author of "The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women" will be giving a lecture on September 19 on this topic.

http://www.impostorsyndrome.com/keynotes-seminars/
http://counseling.caltech.edu/general/InfoandResources/Impostor]

No comments:

Post a Comment