Thursday, October 17, 2013
Coup Blog, Day 2:
Professor Burke wanted to check our CVs. He had us all put them up the projector so we could see how to improve them.
The other group members had colors, great formatting, and well chosen items. They all said mine was crazy vintage--like it was from 50 years ago!
A few tips that we gleaned from looking at everyone's CV:
1) Avoid information from high school
2) Put wordy statements of research into another document
3) Include group duties. Like you, diary!
4) Only include publications that are fully published or submitted
5) Include links as a pdf and colors and pretty fonts
6) List the people you supervised if they are below you in level
7) List dollar amounts on prizes (at least for American opportunities)
8) Make it so people want to hire you
9) Little knobs can be useful (ex: undergraduate research)...so mentioning an activity might pique the reader's interest
Professor Burke said he needs these in case he's ambushed and needs to turn in someone for the reward! I'll have to keep mine up to date and make it nice looking so I can get the benefit!