Thursday, October 2, 2014

I will remember you

Dear Diary,

My roommate has moved out today.  I'm distraught.  Corey was one of the best roommates I've ever had.  Up there with the three guys I roomed with my first year at Long Beach before the landlord showed up unannounced and used a leaf blower to blow dust off the outside of the house.  Funny what having kids can do to some people.  Angry, formal letters by yours truly were sent to make sure we got our full security deposits (we did), and we all went our separate ways.  Happy times.

But Corey!  Now who will I come home to?  I can't keep doing this.  Going through roommates is tough.  You did your dishes!* That's like roommate gold! Two roommates in a row who did their dishes?  There must some regression back to the mean at some point.  And you always bought the toilet paper.  Remember the time we left the compost inside too long and got flies? 

My guess is that they won't fill the room for about a year.  It was awkward timing to do a fish project in Vietnam for housing contracts.  But seize the opportunity, Corey!

Who will I awkwardly negotiate bathroom time with?  Now it's just me and the bathroom.  I suppose my last, also very great roommate Ben moved out under similar circumstances.  He did get married, but maybe it was me.  Sometimes you have to look in the mirror and realize that you've got the whole place here to yourself and that's super awesome.  No, Corey and our third roommate (his significant other) loved spending time here because they basically had full control over the apartment.  With no furniture and a full work schedule, I'm a veritable non-factor!

He did leave a table.  Maybe I should have a party where I invite everyone and sit in my one chair.  That's enough, right?  I am slowly collecting furniture discarded from former roommates.  The first year I was here, I slept on the floor.  Not after Ben moved out.  Thank you!  A few more roommates and I could get to enjoying time at home!

*-The next one better too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment